Licensed Clinical Psychologist
I’m Dr. Laura L. Walsh, your licensed clinical psychologist and decision coach. I’ve been helping people make decisions and solve problems for nearly two decades. I’ve got advanced training and experience in Discernment Counseling, The Gottman Method of couples counseling, and have specialties in addictions, ADHD, and LGBT issues. I work especially well with C-level executives and business owners as well as their families.
Dr. Laura L. Walsh – My Story
Welcome! It’s good to see you.
I’m Laura and I’m a licensed clinical psychologist. I am the owner and director of a private practice on the North Shore of Chicago and an addiction treatment and recovery consulting company. I’ve been working with couples and individuals for nearly two decades and I’m in love with my work.
Decision counseling is my passion as it taps into logical, pragmatic, and active parts of me. It’s so interesting to help people find new insights to make the decision process easier.
I know both sides of many issues. I’m divorced and happily remarried but I’m not pro-divorce. I want to help you both find the clearest and best answers for each of you. By asking the right questions, I’m an active participant in this process. Even the most worn out, jaded couples can come back to each other through the power of getting down to the nuts and bolts. But I won’t set you up for more misery. If one partner is truly done, or simply done working but doesn’t want a divorce, I’ve got a plan for that as well. Check out the blog page and when you’re ready, schedule some time with me.
Why Work With Me?
I’m a Licensed Clinical Psychologist with specialty training in the Gottman Method of couples counseling and Discernment Counseling theory for mixed-agenda couples on the brink of divorce. See more about services here.
I have clinical specialties in the treatment and recovery of substance abuse and process addictions, couples counseling, Adult ADHD, C-level executive and independent business owners, and LGBTQ issues. I have extensive experience with alternative families such as blended families and stepparents as well as polyamorous and open relationships.
Still have questions? Schedule a complimentary phone consultation and I’ll help you find answers.
Qualifications & Awards
I want you to feel confident about the work we’ll do together. Here’s some information about my background and qualifications.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology (Psy.D.)
- Master Degree in Psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology with a Minor in Philosophy from Texas State University
- Discernment Counseling
- Gottman Couples Counseling
- Sex Addiction Counseling (C-SAT-1)
- APA HIV Office of Psychological Education (HOPE) Trainer
- Clinical Experience and Range spanning treatment centers, university counseling, rural mental health, and private practice.
- Professional Speaker, Author, and Educator – graduate psychology professor, professionally published, and nationwide speaker.
- Business and Startup Management including all facets from administration, management and financials.
- Program Development of administrative and clinical programs in both consulting and private practice settings such as clinical training of students, on-site SMART Recovery meetings, and ‘outside-the-box’ methods of delivering services.
Recognition and Awards
- Illinois Psychological Association Annual Convention · Chicago, Illinois Award: Best Quantitative Study
- Argosy University · Chicago, Illinois Award: Emerging Scholar Award for Best Clinical Research Project Study: “Addiction Factors within Obesity”
- American Psychological Association · Washington D.C. Award: APA Convention Travel Award for Early Career Professionals
- Kentucky Psychological Association · Washington D.C. Award: American Psychological Association State Leadership Conference